Stress has become an inevitable side effect of the hectic modern day life. Family issues, finances, work pressure, pollution, traffic gridlock are some of the common causes of stress today. To cope with stress, men need to be mentally and physically strong and healthy. Many men go to the gym to tone their body and muscles. You can also try yoga to become physically and mentally healthy.
Benefits of Weight Training
Men do resistance or weight training at the gym to develop strong muscles. Weight training also has other benefits such as improved coordination and balance, better athletic performance, reduced risk of getting osteoporosis and lower blood pressure.
Benefits of Yoga for Men
Men can combine yoga with weight training to get better results. Yoga improves flexibility and concentration, and helps beat stress. It also develops mind-body coordination, which is essential for good health. Yoga reduces the risks of prostate conditions, impotence and insomnia. Golf and tennis players can especially gain from yoga as it looses tension in the muscles located in the groin, hamstrings, shoulders and hips.
Here are a few basic yoga poses for men that can be combined with weight training to bring about a healthier, more flexible body and reproductive system:
- Standing Side Stretch Yoga Pose: It benefits the stomach, arms and the legs by stretching the muscles.
- Triangle Yoga Pose: It stretches the spine laterally, tones the nerves in the spine, and helps in the proper functioning of the digestive system. Makes the body feel lighter.
- Half Spinal Twist Yoga Pose: It twists and tones the spinal nerves laterally, stretches the ligaments, tones your abdominal muscles and refreshes your lungs.
- Yoga Warrior Pose or hands to feet yoga pose: It trims the waist, restores elasticity of spine, stretches the ligaments, the legs and the hamstrings. It boosts blood flow towards the brain.
- Forward Bend Yoga Pose: It invigorates the internal organs, reduces fat, and stimulates nervous system.
- Spread Leg Forward Bend Yoga Pose: It stretches the hamstrings and adductor muscles. Energizes and calms the body and mind together.
- Forward Bend Pose: Stimulates the nervous system and internal organs, and reduces fat.
- Fish Yoga Pose: It exercises the chest, tones the nerves of the neck and back, benefits the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Aids in deep breathing and increases the lung capacity.
- Bow Yoga Pose: It keeps the reproductive and digestive organs healthy, reduces stomach fat, increases vitality, improves posture and keeps the spine elastic.
- Leg Reclining Lunge Yoga Pose: It stretches and tones all the leg muscles.
- Sage Twist Pose: Tones and massages the organs in the abdominal area such as the intestines, spleen and liver. Also relieves lower back pain due to muscle tension.
- Leg to Side Yoga Pose: It stretches and tones up all the leg muscles.
- Headstand Yoga Pose: It helps to reduce the stress on the heart, aids in circulation and relieves the pressure on the lower back. Regular exercise eliminates back problems, improves memory, concentration and sensory faculties. This pose will make you breathe deeply.
- Shoulder Stand Yoga Pose: It gently stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands. It also encourages deep abdominal breathing and stretches the neck and the upper spine.
- Fish Yoga Pose: It exercises the chest, tones up the nerves of the neck and back, benefits the thyroid and parathyroid glands. It aids in deep breathing and increases the lung capacity.
- Plough Yoga Pose or Double Leg Raise Yoga Pose: It strengthens the abdominal and lower back muscles. It is also the next yoga pose after the headstand. It helps to keep the waist trim and the thighs slim.
- Corpse Yoga Pose: or Shavasana is the classic relaxation yoga pose, practiced for final relaxation.
- Ujjayi Breathing Technique: This technique strengthens the nervous and digestive systems and gets rid of phlegm.
- Anuloma Viloma Breathing Technique: Regular practice of this technique for three to ten minutes will restore and equalize the flow of prana in your body.