In this asana, your body is stretched and it looks like a mountain peak. So it is called the Parvatasana, as parvat means mountain. Stretching of your body is very important in this asana, but your body will not be actually lifted. You can practice this asana for long time without any kind of problems. Stretching of your arm, back and abdominal muscles helps in improving the functioning of these parts. It also helps in curing certain problems of spinal column and cord. It is simple and anyone can practice it.
How to Practice:
- Take both your hands forward and lock fingers of both hands together.
- Take your hands over your head. Turn your palms downside up facing the top.
- Stretch your body upwards with your arms stretched towards the sky.
- Maintain this position and continue your normal breathing.
- Relax your body and bring the hands on your knees.
- Take your position as in Padmasana.
- Straighten the left leg and then straighten the right leg.
- Bring both your legs together; take the sitting posture. This helps you in relaxing.