Physical Benefits of Yoga
- Yoga seems to be a little easier when compared to the other fitness workouts. Yoga helps you to be fit not only physically but also mentally. As practicing of yoga involves all the muscles in our body it helps you to be fit physically and you stay fit mentally as you balance your mind by doing stress reduction exercises in yoga.
- Almost all the yoga postures are responsible for strengthening your hands, legs, feet, lower back, abdominals, shoulders and mind.
- It helps you to improve the flexibility in your body and mind. The stretching exercises of yoga help your muscles to stay limber, helping the muscle joints, tendons etc.
- People suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis will find some improvement in the pain and stiffness by practicing yoga regularly.
- The athletic forms of yoga like power yoga, ashtanga yoga, bikram yoga and vinyasa yoga help in improving the endurance if practiced regularly. Unlike other yogasanas, these asanas are considered as great cardiovascular workouts and help in improving strength.
- If you want to relieve your neck pain and chronic back pain, then hatha yoga can be one of the best yoga workouts to help reduce your pain.
- After treating the injury, yoga helps you to heal from many injuries like pulled hamstrings, minor skin burns, back and knee injuries and repetitive strain injuries.
- One of the best weight-bearing exercises is yoga. Yoga helps in improving the density of your bones. This is helpful for women to avoid bone thinning by improving bone density.
- Yoga is considered as one of the best ways to reduce your blood pressure. Yoga includes various asanas which help you to improve the flow of blood in an even manner while you focus on breathing.
- Yoga can do a great favor to those who are suffering from cholesterol problems. Practicing yoga regularly helps in lowering the cholesterol.
- Proper circulation of blood and oxygen can be done by practicing yoga in your daily routine.
So, never think of yoga just to be a spiritual enlightenment. There are various physical benefits of yoga that you might have understood by reading this article.
Yoga for Mental Health
Laughter yoga is especially recommended to improve mental health. Research reveals that yoga stretching and breathing exercises increase blood flow in the brain, thereby improving mental prowess and relieving anxiety and stress. Yoga is thus a great antidote for mental problems such as tension, anxiety and depression.
Yoga Benefits for Mental Health
Yoga meditation calms our mind and wards off stressful thoughts. Your mind becomes calm and clear, and you will be able to face the causes of your stress and tension with equanimity. Once you do that, you will be able to put mind over matter and overcome your mental health problems. Yoga also promotes sound sleep, which will make you refreshed and energetic. Yoga improves self worth and self esteem, which will make you feel good throughout the day.
Psychological Benefits of Yoga
- Increased energy levels
- Better concentration and focus
- Increase in self-confidence
- Relaxed and calm attitude to life’s problems
- Improves self-control over mind and body
- Increases awareness of the mind’s behavior and tendencies
- Yoga classes help ward off loneliness and depression by helping us mingle with like-minded people
A Word of Caution
Despite its many benefits for mental health, yoga should not be considered as an all-in-one remedy to treat mental problems. If you suffer from any mental illness, you should first consult a professional for help. He/she can provide you proper counseling and medication. You can use yoga to deal with the side effects of mental problems.