Yoga for Sleep: Pranayam and Nidra Yoga
Quality sleep is important for our health. Our body and mind get adequate rest during sleep. But, due to today’s hectic lifestyle, many people suffer from sleep disorders such as insomnia. If you are one of those suffering from sleep disorders, we have a holistic solution for you. Yoga for sleep can help you get rid of anxiety, tension and negativity and get proper sleep. Read on to learn more about yoga for sleep.
Different yogic ways from yoga for sleep:
Pranayama for Better Sleep
Follow the below regimen to ward off sleep-related problems:
- Bhastrika pranayam (5 minutes)
- Kapalbhati pranayam (5 minutes)
- Anulom Vilom pranayam (10 minutes)
- Bhramari pranayam (10 times)
- Udgith Pranayam (10 times)
- Ujjai Pranayam (10 times)
Shavasana (Corpse Pose) for Better Sleep
This pose is a boon for insomniacs as it puts the mind and body at calm and ease, and promotes sleep. Read on to learn how to perform the Corpse pose:
- Lie down on your back and face your palms upwards.
- Your legs should be spread slightly apart and loosen all body parts.
- There should be no tension in any body part.
- Breathing should be normal.
- Slowly, your whole body becomes relaxed and you can get rid of fatigue, tension and lethargy.
Yoga Nidra (Yogic Sleep)
This technique is an extension of the Corpse pose. It provides complete rest to mind and body. Perform yoga nidra by following the below steps:
- Lie down in the Corpse pose and focus your mind on normal breathing.
- Mentally relax each body part by focusing on it for about 10 seconds.
- Relax your whole body from head to toe.
- This pose helps to give peaceful and sound sleep by relaxing mind and body.
- Yoga nidra helps to ward off high blood pressure, negative thoughts, strain, stress, depression, anxiety and tension.
- The practitioner feels mentally peaceful and physically stable.
- With regular practice, yoga nidra can help in reaching higher stages of meditation, concentration and self-realization.
Yoga for sleep is thus an invaluable tool for insomniacs and those suffering from other sleep disorders. Practice the above mentioned yoga for sleep techniques daily to get sound and peaceful sleep.