Yoga for Arthritis
Arthritis patients can benefit by moving their joints in a slow and controlled manner. Yoga poses for arthritis help to improve blood circulation in the joints, and remove waste products and toxins. But, arthritis patients experience pain when they try to exercise their joints. So, they remain sedentary, which worsens the pain. Thus, they fall victim to this vicious cycle. So, patients should persevere with yoga for arthritis as much as possible despite the pain.
Inform Your Instructor
Before starting yoga for arthritis, inform your teacher about your problems and condition. This will enable him/her to modify yoga poses to suit you. You can also use props like blankets and cushions that will enable you to perform poses without strain or discomfort to the arthritic joints. Since there are many yoga styles, you need to deliberate and pick the one that is most comfortable and suited to your condition.
Yoga for Arthritis – Yogic Poses
Yoga poses can help fight the effects of arthritis. Simple poses can help the affected limbs and joints. But, do not maintain the poses for too long. Effective yoga poses for arthritis are:
Yoga Benefits for Arthritis
Regular yoga practice can benefit arthritis patients in the below ways:
- Makes their lifestyle more healthy
- Improves immunity and resistance to various diseases
- Controls weight and minimizes the risk of obesity
- Regulates uric acid levels
- Promotes balance
- Increases range of motion
- Strengthens muscles and joints
- Enhances joint flexibility
- Reduces dependence on pain-killing drugs, which may have adverse side effects.
Pranayama for Arthritis
Simple pranayama breathing techniques are recommended for arthritis such as deep breathing exercises. You can also try the following useful pranayama technique for arthritis relief:
- Close you left nostril and inhale through your right nostril
- Exhale through both nostrils
- Create an mmm… sound (honeybee sound) while doing this exercise
Massage and Heat Treatment
First apply bearable and moderate heat with the help of heat bags to the affected joints. Then, massage them lightly with an Ayurvedic herbal oil. This gentle massage relaxes the joints and facilitates easier performance of physical movements. So, do this heat treatment and massage before you start performing yoga for arthritis.
- Diet plays an important role in the practice of yoga and in curing arthritis.
- Having nutritious food is very important
- Vegetarian food is mostly preferred while practicing yoga
- If that is not possible, then avoid deep fries and spices in your food
Research has conclusively proved that yoga for arthritis has many benefits. So, try yoga to improve your arthritic condition and get relief from pain and discomfort.