Benefits of Meditation
The importance of meditation has been stressed upon by many who practice it. If you are new to this and want to know more about the benefits of meditation or if you have already been practicing meditation without knowing about its benefits, then this article aims to provide you with the required information. The words ‘enlightenment’ or ‘supreme bliss’ are often associated with meditation. But very few actually understand the meaning of these words. Let us look at the various advantages of meditation put in simple and easy words.
Before dwelling deeper into the topic, you need to ask yourself a question – What benefits do you expect from meditation?â€ Are your expectations based on psychological, physical or material needs? Or are your expectations based on all three of them? Read on to know more.
The general benefits of meditation include:
- Self control and confidence
- Improved focus and concentration
- Ability to work efficiently
- Inner certainty
- Ability to let go of all the negative emotions
- Improved posture
- Improved health
- Better personal relationships
Health benefits of meditation
Regular meditation has a very positive effect on a person’s health too. Some of the advantages of meditation specific to health are listed below.
- Decreased respiratory rate
- Increased blood flow
- Slowing down of the heart rate
- Increased exercise tolerance (especially in heart patients)
- Deeper relaxation
- Decreased muscle tension
- Increased serotonin production which boosts up the mood and behavior
- Decreased incidence of allergies, arthritis etc
- Strengthened immune system
- Improvement in post-operative healing
Spiritual benefits of meditation
If you are keen on experiencing the spiritual benefits of meditation, the following points would be helpful.
- Helps you discover your true purpose
- Provides happiness and peace of mind
- Helps you to keep things in the right perspective
- Helps you attain enlightenment
- Brings the mind, body and spirit in complete harmony
- Helps you be more compassionate and forgiving
- Helps you to conquer your ego
- Helps you create a deeper and divine relationship with your God
What we have mentioned in this article are just a few benefits of meditation. There are innumerable advantages of practicing meditation. So now that you know about the various advantages, what are you waiting for? Start practicing and feel the change within yourself.