About Yoga – Things You Should Know
Do you know what yoga is? How about terms in yoga, such as upodhgatah? If you still have difficulties to answer these questions, this article would try to answer your problems by giving you some facts about yoga.
The information given in this article is compiled from many sources and it is meant to answer common questions about yoga.
Hopefully, you will find useful info from this article.
Happy yoga learning!
Facts about Yoga
- Yoga is an ancient and distinctive Hindu religious method of discipline and meditation.
- Yoga term is taken from Sanskrit words.
- Yoga practice is closely related to Buddhism and Hinduism.
- A yoga practitioner will utilize controlled breathing, meditation techniques, relaxation methods, physical exercises and vegetarian dieting to go into altered states of consciousness.
- Upodhgatah is taken from Sanskrit words and means introduction.
- Hatha Yoga is not the only kind of yoga.
- Yoga tradition covers a lot of distinct methodologies, notably the royal path of meditation (Raja Yoga), the path of self-transcending action (Karma Yoga), the path of wisdom and discernment (Jnana Yoga), the integrative path settled in the medieval era (Tantra Yoga) and the path of devotion (Bhakti Yoga).
- Ancient Hatha Yoga is a noticeably spiritual tradition.
- Ancient Hatha Yoga is focused mainly on enlightenment and liberation.
- Yoga practitioners developed the poses (asanas) and breathing techniques (pranayama) around 1000 A.D.
- Around 1000 A.D., yoga practitioners also framed the doctrines of Hatha Yoga.
- Previously, pranayama was used exclusively to make the meditative process deeper.
- Formerly, asanas were performed for the purpose of steadying the practitioner’s body during meditation.
- Goraksha Natha was associated by traditional authorities with traditional Hatha Yoga.
- Yoga practices try to awaken the practitioner’s kundalini (Yoga Swami Svatmarama, Hatha Yoga Pradipika).
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika is a classic text for Hatha Yoga.
- Kundalini is taken from Sanskrit words and the meaning is serpent power.
- Nowadays, hatha yoga is the most popular physical yoga and exercised by millions of Americans.
- Hatha Yoga is a branch leading to Raja Yoga.
These are some of the interesting facts about yoga.