Yoga For Scoliosis
According to National Scoliosis Foundation (NSF), in the United States around 6 million Americans are affected with Scoliosis. The main problem is, it does not have any exact cure. NSF suggests practising yoga as a good solution to eradicate most of the problems caused by scoliosis.
What is Scoliosis?
Everyone’s spine has curves, but abnormal curves and a rational deformity in the spine is a disorder. It is medically called Scoliosis. It is frequently seen in adolescence and double in women compared to men. In mild form, it causes trunk, shoulder and waistline asymmetry. Whereas in severe conditions it can cause significant disfigurement, postural fatigue and back pain. In some cases, it can lead to heart failure.
Yoga for Scoliosis
- Practising different poses put emphasis on postural alignment of the body, this brings awareness about the imbalances throughout your body.
- Especially, Iyengar yoga system emphasises on the alignment and balance of the body.
- Individuals suffering from scoliosis should strengthen and lengthen the muscles that support in relieving pain and tightness.
- The patients should concentrate on the poses that lengthen the spine, and simultaneously strengthen the para spinal and other supporting muscles.
- For example, all standing poses strengthen your legs creating a solid foundation for the spine to stretch and become freer.
- Some twisting poses can stretch the hip flexors, quadriceps and hamstrings creating mobility and improved posture
Based on the requirement of the user, there are few props that can be used while practising yoga poses for scoliosis
- Yoga mat
- Small table
Poses For Scoliosis
All these poses can be practised at home using props wherever required. The below mentioned poses are suggested by the NSF.
- Right angled wall stretch
- Kitchen sink pull
- Pelvic tilts pose
- Extended dog pose
- Piriformis Stretch (hip opener pose)
- Back strengtheners
- Hamstrings stretch
- Abdominal strengthener
- Corpse pose