What is Sutra Neti Procedure? – Benefits
Sutra Neti is one of the six cleansing activities (Shat Karmas) performed in Hatha yoga. Bathing and all other external cleansing processes remove dust, impurities and irritants from your nasal. Sutra neti goes even further in tonifying and stimulating the glands, nerves. It also stimulates the cranial area and entire nasal including sinuses, eyes, carnium and ears. It has been in use from centuries in the eastern world (India & China)
Benefits of Sutra Neti
It can be used for
- Removing sluggishness and congestion
- Sinus headaches
- Any ear and eye complaints
- Excess mucus (Kapha)
- Reducing heaviness in your head
- Increasing alertness
- Recently the yoga gurus in India are recommending sutra neti to get rid off SWINE FLU
Sutra Neti String Preparation
- A string of 20 inches in length is needed
- Most commonly cotton thread is used for making strings
- In order to insert it through nasal cavity, the string is dipped in beeswax to stiffen.
- Usually beeswax cannot take sharp bends without cracks, so it is suggested to protect it with a long stick while preparing.
- Hemp strings have perfect texture and stiffness, but they are too harsh for delicate nares
- Cocoa butter is often combined with beeswax for smoother and effective passage.
Sutra Neti Procedure
- Insert the waxed cotton string horizontally from the front in your left nostril.
- Push the string along the floor of your nose until its tip touches in the back of your throat.
- Insert the index and middle fingers through your mouth and catch the cotton string’s tip from the back of your throat.
- Get it out of your mouth and catch the two ends of the string with both your hand, and gently massage your nasal passage
- While removing the string always use the nose.
- Repeat the procedure on the right side.