Mountain Pose – Cautions, Practise
Mountain pose is known as the fundamental pose of all the yoga series. The pose may not have any twists but most importantly it aligns the whole body. Doing so improves your posture which is very important before practising any advanced poses. It also strengthens your ankles, thighs, and knees.
People having the following problems have to practise this asana for less time
- Low blood pressure
How to Practise Mountain Pose
- The whole process may look like you are standing still, but alignment of all the part is a hard work. It is the most important for doing any advanced poses
- Stand with your big toes touching and your heels slightly apart.
- Lift your toes up and fan them out, gradually drop them down, forming wide solid base
- Now try to balance your whole weight equally on the four corners of your feet
- Root down your feet and calves into the floor
- By engaging the quadriceps, draw them upwards. This will rise your knee caps.
- Rotate your thighs inward and widen the sit bones, now tuck the tailbone between your sit bones
- You can tone the belly by drawing it in and out slightly
- Make sure your shoulders are held parallel to your pelvis and widen your collar bones
The crown point on the head rises upwards , and shoulder blades will slide down your back
Benefits of Mountain Pose
- Improves posture , this is the beginning for all other pose
- Strengthens knees, ankles and thighs
- Firms your buttocks and abdomen area
- Relieves sciatica nerves
- Reduces the problem of flat feet