What is Surya Yoga? – How to Practise?
How many days can you stay without taking any solid or liquid food? Ever tried getting energy and food from sun rays?
Surya yoga is an advanced yoga concept which teaches an individual to get energy and food from sun rays, and gradually merge (laya) with the universe.
What is Surya Yoga?
Hindus believe that, many supreme masters reside in Himalayas doing tapas (meditating on the supreme power or God), without taking any food or water. These masters derive their energy from the Sun (Surya), eternal light for the world. Everything that a human being needs can be acquired from sunlight.
Concept Behind Surya Yoga
The sun’s rays are filled with food that consists of elements and solar energy, that can be used for the physical and psychic development of a person, eventually leading to universal self or God. That is, photons from the solar system can enlighten and smoothen us, by which we can balance our body, mind, prana and soul.
How to Practise Surya Yoga?
- It should be practiced only during sunrise or before sunset, as the Ultra-violet rays will be nil at in this time.
- Wear light clothes, this helps the sun rays to penetrate easily in to the body.
- Have a drink or very light snack before the practice.
- It is good if you can do the practice just after having a shower. It is not a must, but advisable to do so.
- During the practice never use goggles or any protective eye wear.
- Sit in the sun with the help of a mat, if it is not suitable for you, then use a chair.
- Rub between your eyebrows and place a silver coin between the eyebrows. It may fall in the first few days, so do not worry about that.
- Most importantly avoid any fear of sun and develop love, devotion and faith for the sun.
- Stand in the sun without doing any thing for 10 minutes
- Slowly close your eyes and bring all your concentration on the third eye position or on the silver coin which we kept before.
- In due time, surya yoga practice can lead to long meditation sessions.