Yoga for Headache
Headaches can be a result of a varied number of reasons. These may range from stress to excessive strain on the eyes to medications or even lack of sleep. Whatever may be the reason, headaches can be a major disruption to daily activities and can affect work and productivity. Yoga for headache is a very effective treatment unlike other traditional treatments. There are certain poses that can help to get rid of this irritating condition. Read on to know on how yoga for headache works, the various asanas and their benefits in alleviating headaches.
Yoga for Headache – Yoga poses for headaches
Simple Yoga postures like Yoga Mudra, Garudasana (Eagle pose), Balakasana (Child’s pose), Bhujangasana (Cobra pose), neck exercises as well as light Pranayama (Breathing techniques) like Anulom-vilom (alternate nostril breathing) are helpful in easing headaches.
- Neck exercises: Simple exercises to loosen and relax the neck help in relieving stiffness and tension in the neck and shoulder muscles, improving posture and reducing headaches.
- Yoga Mudra: This Asana helps in stretching the chest area and thus helping breathe longer and deeper. This increases oxygen supply to the body and brain and reduces headaches.
- Garudasana (Eagle pose): This Asana helps stretch the spine and back muscles and correct posture. Better posture means lesser stress on the spine and, therefore,relief from headaches.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose): This posture helps stretch and relax shoulder and back muscles as well as the spine. Less stiffness means decreased pressure on the neck and relief from headaches.
- Marjarasana (Cat pose): This posture helps exercise the spine and shoulders and relax tensed muscles. This decreased stress on the muscles helps relieve headaches.
- Balakasana (Child’s pose): This relaxation technique helps relax the body and mind and get rid of stress. As stress reduces, so does the headache.
- Anulom-vilom (Alternative nostril breathing): This technique is very useful in relaxing the mind and de-stressing. This helps alleviate headaches.
- Shavasana (Corpse pose): This pose helps the whole body relax and release any stress in the muscles and joints. It also helps calm the mind and reduces headaches.
These simple Asanas of yoga for headache when coupled with adequate amount of quality sleep can help alleviate stress and get rid of headaches.