Yogs for Scoliosis
In Greek, ‘scoliosis’ means crooked. Scoliosis is a medical condition which is marked by abnormal lateral curvature of the spine. In scoliosis, the vertebral column or spine curves like a ‘C’ or an ‘S’. Yoga, with its various postural correction, breathing and relaxation techniques can realign postural problem of the spine and cure scoliosis. Yoga for scoliosis can also relieve associated chronic back and neck pain.
How Yoga Cures Scoliosis?
Listed below are the ways in which yoga can treat scoliosis:
- Yoga can strengthen and stretch muscles that support the back and that have become weak and tightened due to asymmetrical shape of the spine.
- Yoga can help in lengthening the spine to bring it to the center.
- Yoga for scoliosis can relieve tension in the muscles that support the spine and create more space between the vertebrae. This can help in relieving compression in the vertebrae.
Yoga for Scoliosis – Yogic Poses
One Leg Up and One Leg Down – This posture can help in relieving muscle tension in the legs, thereby correcting alignment of the spine.
Head to Knee Pose (Janusirsasana) – This pose can help in lengthening the spine.
Piriformis Stretch – It is suggested that the stretch can help in treating lower back pain by relaxing the piriformis muscle, relieving the ‘tugging effect’ of the sacrum and opening up the hip.
How to do Piriformis Stretch?
- Lie on your back and bend your knees.
- Gently put your left ankle on your right knee.
- Now place your left hand stretched on your left knee.
- Maintaining this position, push your knee away from your body.
- Repeat the movements two-three times.
- Practice it on your other knee.
Some other poses of Yoga for Scoliosis include:
- Right angled wall stretch
- Kitchen sink pull
- Pelvic tilts pose
- Extended dog pose
- Back strengtheners
- Hamstrings stretch
- Abdominal strengthener
- Corpse pose